The PE Curriculum Intention:
Pupils learn to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically-demanding activities, build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect
We aim to:
Develop competence in order to excel in a broad range of physical activities; being physically active for sustained periods of time; engaging in competitive sports and activities and how to lead healthy, active lives.
- At St. Joseph’s we aim to offer a curriculum that helps a child to develop physically and mentally and which promotes a positive attitude towards a healthy and active lifestyle. Due to our location we place a particular emphasis on swimming and each year group participates in swimming sessions (including lessons in the sea in summer).
- We provide lessons in which children are active, involved and engaged. We encourage the children to collaborate in groups and teams but also to enjoy the challenge of competition.
- We offer after school sports clubs and partake in a range of inter school competitions.
- We use the expertise of a dance specialist within the staff to support the teaching of high quality dance across the school
- Beyond the physical benefits of P.E., we recognise its importance in developing confidence, creativity and resilience.
- We teach the children about how mental health and well-being can be improved with physical exercise
At St Joseph's, we hold our children at the heart of all we do and we endeavour to give ALL children lots of opportunities to share their thoughts and opinions. This enables them to play an active role in the decisions that affect their learning, opportunities and well being. Please take some time to help us uphold this by completing our pupil voice survey for PE, the link is posted below.