Please begin you RE as you always do in marking yourself with the sign of the cross.
Please share this prayer:
God, thank You for this day! Thank You for the birds and the animals, the flowers and the trees, the lakes and the streams, and the sun that rises and sets over them each day. Thank You for creating everything we see! Thank You for the life we live, and for making each person different. In Jesus name, Amen.
LEARNING FOCUS 2: God’s world is a precious treasure.
Share together Genesis 1 – either read the story or watch it on the clip provided.
Explain to the children that because God’s world is a precious treasure we should do all we can to preserve and look after it.
Psalm 19: 1-6
The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice[b] goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
It rises at one end of the heavens
and makes its circuit to the other;
nothing is deprived of its warmth.
- Why is God’s world precious?
- Who is it for?
- What makes us happy with God’s world?
- Who did God make the world for?
- How do we show respect when we share the world with other living things?
TASK: For each statement below ask the question – ‘Is this what God wants?’
Respond in explaining why or what you could do to make it better.
- The fish swim in the seas, the tigers roar in the jungles and the stars twinkle in the sky.
- These trees look useful, I could chop down one or two of these to burn on a fire and keep me warm.
- People are peaceful and happy.
- The plants grow, the flowers open and the birds sing in the trees.
- Use both sides of a piece of paper.
- People have quarrels and angry words.
- Catch lots of fish to eat and if there are some left over I could throw them away.
- Turn the tap off when I am brushing my teeth.
- Have a long soak in a bath full of water twice a day.
- Remember to switch things off when I’ve stopped using them.
- Have a picnic and leave the rubbish for someone else to clean up.
For all the answers that do explain what God wants place them in your treasure chest to symbolise the treasures God gave us and how precious they are to you and us all.